What is an autoclave and why is it important?
In an effort to be kinder to the environment, we try to limit the use of single use instruments wherever possible. Instead, we utilise reusable instruments that can be put into our swish autoclave!
Autoclaves are used to sterilise dental instruments after they have been manually cleaned to ensure that no sediments, microbes or bacteria are left on them. Microorganisms in blood and saliva can carry bacteria and diseases like hepatitis, herpes, tuberculosis, staphylococcus and strep so it is imperative these are removed effectively.
Autoclaves use high temperatures and high pressure steam to sterilise instruments and this ensures that patients are safe from cross infection.
Interested in the details?
We have a Scican STATIM 6000B G4+
At The Hive Dental Clinic we are crazy about our swish autoclave the SciCan STATIM 6000B G4+.
Here are some of the amazing things it can do!
- It has fractionated vacuum technology, designed for flexible loading, shorter cycle times and enhanced digital capabilities. It’s a compact 6 litre autoclave with a drawer style that allows for easy one-handed opening.
- This autoclave can process 2 cassettes or 12 pouches, delivering sterilised and dry wrapped instrument loads in as little as 27 minutes and unwrapped in as little as 15 minutes.
- G4+ technology provides smart automation, traces load release, provides enhanced documentation reporting and even connects to your smart devices, computer or patient management systems!
- The touch screen is easy to navigate and has an intuitive interface which offers a choice of languages. The 5inch high definition touch screen has light or dark mode options and is also responsive to gloved fingers.
- Sterilisation monitoring test reporting helps minimise the time required to manually document these results so no need for another checklist to keep on top of!
- The delayed start feature allows cycles to begin at a later time. For example, this means you can schedule test cycles to begin at the start of the day.
- Step by step videos played directly on the unit make it easy to carry out maintenance tasks without any worry of forgetting how to do things.
- An LED light trim indicates the status from standby (white), to operating (red), to cycle complete (blue) so you can easily identify when a cycle is complete from across the room.
- Statim B offers various filling and draining options – manual top filling or automatic filling and draining for complete automation.
It’s safe to say that this autoclave is a big hit over here and we cannot recommend it enough!